Close to the house you will find the Candle workshop and the Bluestone Brewery, both of which have small shops selling candles and beer. Within a 30 minute walk or 5 minute drive you are in the centre of the medieval market town of Newport, which offers a variety of things to do and places to visit. There are also many walks around the town and Carningli mountain which is visible from the garden of the house, or around Newport, and along the coastline which is noted for its beauty.
To the north of Cilgwyn are the Preseli range of Mountains. Maps and directions are located in the living room.
- The Parrog is situated 2 miles from Glasfryn Cottages. Drive past the candle workshop and follow the road into Newport. Turn onto the A40 towards Fishguard take turning to the right with a sign saying The Parrog. Follow the road all the way down to the beach.
- The big beach or Traeth Mawr (Newport Sands), can either be accessed by wading across the river ( at low tide) from the Parrog or by driving round to Newport Golf Links situated above the beach.
- Other good beaches can be found south along the coast most notably Whitesands, Freshwater East & West and north Tresaith, Aberporth and if you explore you will find many more.
- Vic North Open most days & sometimes in the evening; fresh food with an emphasis on seafood. For bookings Tel +44 1239 820777
- The Canteen Provides excellent pizzas, fresh burgers and fantastic deserts & coffees. They also do takeaway pizza. For bookings Tel +44 1239 820131
- Blas at Fronlas Lovely restaurant and B & B that does coffee, lunches, evening meals and music nights. For bookings Tel +44 1239 820065
- Llys Meddyg Boutique hotel with a cellar bar, a la carte restaurant, & in the summer a less formal kitchen garden. For bookings +44 1239 820008
- Monday morning Farmers Market sells local produce and gift items 9am – 1pm in Market Street
- The Butchers Shop Market Street. Open Monday to Saturday 8am –4.30
- The Chemist Market Street, open 9am – 5.30 Monday to Friday & 9am – 12.30 Saturdays.
- The Wholefood Shop located on the Main Street. OpenMonday to Saturday 9 am – 5
- Havards the Ironmongers is located on the Main Street and is open 9.30 – 5 Mondays to Saturday. They also stock of beach things – from buckets and spades to wet suits wellington boots
- Other shops include; The Newsagents, The Post Office, Gwalia Gift Shop, Newport Collective Gallery, Yr Oriel-The Gallery.
There are six public houses in Newport which include The Castle, the Golden Lion, The Royal Oak, The Llwyngwair Arms, Newport gold links and the Boat Club which requires membership
During the early summer and onwards there are often events in town and the surrounding area. To find out more look for notices posted in the shops or check with the National Park information office in Newport.
The Pembrokeshire coastal path runs along the beach in Newport so it's really easy to explore the cliffs and hidden beaches north and south of Newport beach.